Steering rack boots 93 Civic DX HB AT

Discussion in 'Civic' started by John M., Dec 27, 2006.

1. John M.

John M. Guest

Hi,

I just ordered and received boots for my steering rack. However, I ordered two
    of the cheaper boot and was planning on re-using the old clamps. (maybe I just
    didn't notice that there were two listed or was just being cheap? I honestly
    can't remember.) Now as I was about install them I did notice that there are two
    listed, one for either side. I called the local dealer and they said the same.
    They only had one side in stock so they couldn't really tell me if they were
    different.

My question is are the left and right boots actually different?

I decided that I'm going to order the clamps as I am replacing the boots with
    the rack still on the car and I may not be able to get the old clamps off in one
    piece so I may as well order the other boot - if necessary.

Here's Majestic's picture and list. The following links will eventually take
    you to the same page. The first one will probably wrap once or twice.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=1993&catcgry3=3DR+DX&catcgry4=4AT&catcgry5=P.S.+GEAR+BOX&vinsrch=yes

http://preview.tinyurl.com/weovv

http://tinyurl.com/weovv

And FWIW: There has been some discussion in here (a while ago) about power
    steering grease - silicone vs. mineral. My Helm's manual lists the part # as
    08733-B070E on page 17-74. I bought some locally and it has been replaced with
    part # 08C35-B0535L. On the tube it says: A grease made with a low viscosity
    mineral oil with high refinement level and with Lithium-type soap. Then on page
    17-80 a silicone grease is specified for the boots.

Thanks,

John M., Dec 27, 2006
  2. John M.

Tegger Guest

I'm not surprised. After all, seven dollars is a significant amount of
    folding green these days.

You aren't capable of comparing the two yourself? You do have old and new
    together, do you not?

Tegger, Dec 28, 2006
  3. John M.

John M. Guest

Yeah, I know it seems silly but I generally try to do things as inexpensively as
    possible as I'm on a very limited budget.
    I didn't want to rip the old ones out (which might very well be the literal case
    when I do) until I was sure that the new one would fit. They do look the same
    but I was wondering if there might be a slight difference in the diameter of the
    rack at either end that I can't make out by putting the new down by the old for
    a side by side comparison.
    The weird thing is is the one that I bought is for the driver's side and I count
    8 pleats on the original and 9 pleats on the new. The one on the passenger side
    has 9. Other than that they look pretty much the same. And, yes, I did buy the
    driver's side. It was the cheaper one. :)
    Maybe they sent the wrong one?

Thanks again,

John M., Dec 28, 2006
  4. John M.

Bob Jones Guest

Just curious, do you have to remove the steering rack before replacing the
    boots?

Bob Jones, Dec 29, 2006
  5. John M.

Tegger Guest

No. You do have to remove the tie rod ends though.

Tegger, Dec 29, 2006
  6. John M.

John M. Guest

In both my Helms and Chilton manuals any work done from the inner tie rod on in
    is done with the whole rack removed. In a thread started on 2-15-06 titled "95
    Accord Front Suspension Help" Dufus Systems says that the rack can be dropped
    down a bit to work on the boots but that's an Accord. I looked at my Civic and
    I may be able to drop it just a little but I think I can get by without doing
    that. At least I hope so, I really don't want this to get too involved. When
    doing something for the first time I usually work pretty slow and since this is
    my only car I can't let it be off the road for too long.

John M., Dec 30, 2006
  7. John M.

jim beam Guest

it's a while since i've done it, but i'm reasonably confident you can
    replace the boots with the rack in place. istr that all you need to do
    is undo the tie rod from the knuckle end and you can slip the boot over
    without undoing anything else.

the only thing that's really different about honda boots compared with
    other cheaper makes is the air tube that equalizes the pressure between
    each side, but i think you can figure out what to do with that!

jim beam, Dec 30, 2006
  8. John M.

jim beam Guest

oh, and thanks for posting the updated grease part numbers! very helpful.

jim beam, Dec 30, 2006
  9. John M.

John M. Guest

I have images of squeaking balloons in my head right now.

Not a problem.
    Thanks and You're Welcome,

John M.

John M., Dec 30, 2006
Ask a Question