rebuild master brake cylinder

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by amsjsj, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. amsjsj

    amsjsj Guest

    I have a 96 honda accord lx sedan w/o abs. My master brake sylinder is going
    out. But I heard you can rebuild them. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    amsjsj, Jan 5, 2004
  2. I would suggest not rebuilding it and get a remanufactured one. That way if
    something does go wrong with the brakes and it is the master cylinder's
    fault you will have somebody to sue.

    CaptainKrunch, Jan 5, 2004
  3. amsjsj

    Jafir Elkurd Guest

    I would recommend buying a new one from Honda for about $80. They are
    pretty cheap compared to some other years. A good rebuilt unit will
    probably be at least $60, and a rebuild kit might be as much a $20.
    Jafir Elkurd, Jan 6, 2004
  4. amsjsj

    amsjsj Guest

    thanks for the help, one more question whats a flare nut wrench?
    amsjsj, Jan 6, 2004
  5. amsjsj

    Randolph Guest

    It is a variation on a regular open ended wrench. On a regular open
    ended wrench you make contact with the nut on only 2 of the faces. A
    flare nut wrench contacts 4 full faces and parts of the remaining 2
    faces of the nut. When working on brake lines fittings, a flare nut
    wrench is an absolute necessity. The fittings are fairly soft and a
    normal open ended wrench *will* distort the fittings. I learned this the
    hard way, shame on me

    See for
    photo of flare nut wrench.

    For comparison, see
    for a regular open ended wrench.
    Randolph, Jan 6, 2004
  6. amsjsj

    Jim Yanik Guest

    Think of a 6-point box wrench with a small part of the circle cut out,to
    slip over the tubing.
    Jim Yanik, Jan 7, 2004
  7. amsjsj

    chuck smoko Guest

    Yep, a flare nut wrench is a necessity. I view it as a box
    wrench with a notch in it to allow you to fit the brake line
    thru it. A bleeder wrench is also needed. If you have a
    quality 6 point box wrench in that small size, it will some-
    times suffice. Many auto parts stores have loaner tools
    for flare and bleeder (with a deposit of course). When I
    work on my car on the weekend the special loaner tool that
    I need is loaned out already :-(

    chuck smoko, Jan 30, 2004
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.