Query for group.

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Keith, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Keith

    Keith Guest

    A question for all you experts on the group!

    Is it possible to convert a 1990 Prelude 2 litre twin carb to fuel

    If it is or you know a site that gives details I would be very grateful.


    Keith, Oct 4, 2006
  2. I do not know the answer, but I am going to take a wild guess that if
    it is possible, the cheapest route would be an engine/transmission
    swap. Electronics would also need to be swapped out.

    Elliot Richmond
    Itinerant astronomy teacher
    Elliot Richmond, Oct 4, 2006
  3. Keith

    Matt Ion Guest

    Wow, I didn't think Honda was still putting carbs in cars in '90, let alone into

    In any case, it should certainly be possible, although I doubt a complete
    engine/tranny swap would be necessary or even cheapest, as Elliot suggests,
    unless the FI version uses a direct-injection system. At the very least you'd
    need the electronics and intake system (air intake, throttle body, etc.), and
    possibly the intake manifold.

    I can't point you to any Prelude-specific info, but I believe a few folks at
    www.3geez.com have done a carb-to-FI swap on 3rd-gen ('86-'89) Accords, which
    are a close cousin to the Prelude. Could probably start there.
    Matt Ion, Oct 5, 2006
  4. Keith

    arpeggio66 Guest

    Thanks for the help guys. It will probably be cheaper to upgrade to a newer
    lude, with the VTEC engine. Its a shame because I just love the shape of
    the 3rd gen, after that they got very "samey" looking as the other jap
    coupes of the period.


    arpeggio66, Oct 5, 2006
  5. Keith

    Matt Ion Guest

    If you look around, you can probably find a wrecked car with the necessary parts
    intact for relatively cheap. If you can do the work yourself, it really
    shouldn't cost that much.
    Matt Ion, Oct 5, 2006
  6. Keith

    Jim Yanik Guest

    wrote in
    Check out www.hasport.com,they make swap kits,parts and have a lot of info
    on their site.

    Hondata will have the electronics you need for the newer engine.
    Jim Yanik, Oct 5, 2006
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.