New Odyssey - first time I apply brakes in morning I hear "clack", "clack" from rear brakes - should

Discussion in 'Odyssey' started by BeamGuy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BeamGuy

BeamGuy Guest

The title says it all. Could it be that the calibers are sticking? This happens every morning at the stop sign at the end of my
    street. I'm not used to brakes making such a noise. Is this something I should have looked at, and if so what is the technical
    question that I should ask at the dealer?
    -thanks

BeamGuy, Nov 12, 2003
  2. BeamGuy

Thomas Bell Guest

Is your Odyssey a '04?

Regardless, it's a well documented fact that this is a noticable if
    relatively harmless problem with the 2001 - 2003 Honda minivans. Here's
    a link to a discussion forum that talks about it including some options
    for a fix:

http://tinyurl.com/urew

T,B,

Thomas Bell, Nov 12, 2003
  3. BeamGuy

BeamGuy Guest

2003... Thanks, I will look at the discussion.

BeamGuy, Nov 12, 2003
  4. BeamGuy

Tegger® Guest

It's the pads sliding back and forth in their mount brackets. If you back
    up, they slide back 1/32" or so until they stop (click). If you shift into
    Drive and go forward, they slide forward 1/32" until they stop (click).

This is normal. If the noise disappears, take the car in to have the brakes
    looked at, as by then the pads will have stopped floating correctly in the
    mount bracket.

Tegger®, Nov 13, 2003
  5. My 93 Accord SE has always done this (from the front pads). This is the
    story I've always been told.

Anderson, Drake, Nov 13, 2003
  6. BeamGuy

Robert Guest

My 02 crv did the same, took it to the dealer and there is a technical
    service bulletin, the fixed it under warranty.

happens every morning at the stop sign at the end of my
    should have looked at, and if so what is the technical

Robert, Nov 13, 2003
  7. BeamGuy

TomP Guest

Here's the real deal, straight from Honda Service News.

Brake Click Is Normal
    On any Honda vehicle, clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pad backing plates can cause the pads
    to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new direction of travel (for example: backing up, applying the
    brakes, then driving forward and applying the brakes). The clicking you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system; the
    clearance is there to allow for heat expansion and/or corrosion of the pads. But if your customer doesn't want to take your word on
    that, here's how you can convince them:
    Remove the pads from the caliper brackets, and shim the ends of the backing plates with a cut-up business card until you can
    reinstall the
    pads snugly in the brackets. Have your customer drive the vehicle, and if they cant hear any clicking, you've proven your point.
    Don't worry about removing the pieces of business card; they'll get pulverized and fall out by themselves after a short time.

--

Tp

-------- __o
    ----- -\<. ------ __o
    --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<.
    ----------------- ( ) / ( )

TomP, Nov 15, 2003
  8. BeamGuy

Thomas Tran Guest

The point is why don't other Break Design has did Clicking noise on the first time you apply the break after chaning the direction. Don't other break designer need to worry about thermal expansion too, Honda?

From the previous post:
    =======================

Here's the real deal, straight from Honda Service News.

Brake Click Is Normal
    On any Honda vehicle, clearance between the brake caliper brackets and the ends of the brake pad backing plates can cause the pads
    to hit the caliper brackets when you first apply the brakes in a new direction of travel (for example: backing up, applying the
    brakes, then driving forward and applying the brakes). The clicking you hear is a normal characteristic of the brake system; the
    clearance is there to allow for heat expansion and/or corrosion of the pads. But if your customer doesn't want to take your word on
    that, here's how you can convince them:
    Remove the pads from the caliper brackets, and shim the ends of the backing plates with a cut-up business card until you can
    reinstall the
    pads snugly in the brackets. Have your customer drive the vehicle, and if they cant hear any clicking, you've proven your point.
    Don't worry about removing the pieces of business card; they'll get pulverized and fall out by themselves after a short time.

--
    Thomas Tran IBM Tie Line 553-4007
    Ext # (507) 253-4007
    ESW Simulation
    Dept. 8XM, Bldg. 030-2/C305, Rochester, MN
    email:

Thomas Tran, Nov 20, 2003
Ask a Question