HELP! REMOVING A ALTERNATOR FROM 84 HONDA

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Californiadr3ams, Feb 26, 2007.

1. I can't, for the life of me get the alternator out of a 84 honda. i've
    been told to remove several different things all by different people.
    Does anyone know how to remove this?!

Californiadr3ams, Feb 26, 2007
  2. It may help to know the model. Civic, Accord, Prelude?

High Tech Misfit, Feb 26, 2007
  3. 84 honda prelude.

Californiadr3ams, Feb 26, 2007
  4. Californiadr3ams

Matt Ion Guest

If it's like the Accord (which it should be, since the two are based on the same
    platform; I've done a number of alt swaps on my '87 (3rd gen), which is somewhat
    different from the '84 (2nd gen), but I did help a friend with his '84 Accord a
    few years ago, and the procedure is still pretty much the same.), you have a few
    options: probably the easiest is to drop it down and slide it across the
    crossmember, work it over the rear engine mount, and out the far side. With my
    '87, it requires a little twisting and turning to just the right angle to slip
    it between the mount and the bottom of the intake manifold, and a wiring harness
    needs to be unbolted and pulled aside from the bottom of the manifold, but it
    will go through there.

It's damn annoying that there's ALMOST enough room to just pull it out the near
    side, but it won't quite fit between the intake, the master cylinder, and the
    fender... however, you CAN unbolt the top-left engine mount and jack up the left
    side of the engine from below, and SHOULD be able to get enough space to slip it
    through.

The most extreme is to actually remove the intake or master cylinder - I
    wouldn't recommend thost, but they are possible.

Matt Ion, Feb 27, 2007
Ask a Question