Finding the source for my 1995 accord ex

Discussion in 'Accord' started by Russell Hall, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Russell Hall

Russell Hall New Member

Hello my name is russ and my honda accord is going through a rough patch any advice would be sweet. I do apologize now im not very mechanically inclined. So my wording might suck and i prolly wont know off hand a lot of stuff that could be talked about but luckily my dad is so he will be my translator Lol so this problem started happening about i wanna say a 2 months ago. I was driving down the highway and my car started to basically try to die. And start to loose speed until i pressed the gas down far enough it would kick back in and continue going happened 5 times the total trip. (I know shouldnt have drove it but there goes the.mechanically inclined thingy) so i stopped driving it on the highway. Then one day i was driving to work and was stopped at a stop light and on my way to go it tried to die when i hit 20 mph on my speedometer until again i pressed the gas down far enough then it would rev up and kick in. And everytime my father was in the car to try and see what i was talking about it wouldnt do it ( cars name is christine idk if its not a 56 or whateves Plymouth it has a mind of its own.) and now we talk about what we have done to fix said problem that havent worked. So we turned down the idle because it was idling around 2000 which is high down closer im guessing to 800 ish as a cold idle. We have replaced the fuel filter, we found out that the head cover had a blown seal around spark plug 4 so we replaced that. Then we replaced the spark plugs and wires did an oil change and replaced the oil filter and today we turned the idle up to 1000 which reading on here seems high. The car has yet to try to die amd stuff but i was going up a hill on my way home from work and it wouldnt go past 35 now i do know hondas of my age have a hill sensor thingy but that wasnt a problem before. It didnt want to speed up basically. And now when im done driving i will put it in park and as its idling it will go from 1000 to 2000 basically pumping to put it lamely surging might be the word. So yah now what we have done to the car previously before issue. We did the rear main seal when i bought the car cuz it was leaking oil. We replaced the power stearing belt got a new radiator cap. Got a new alternator cleaned my after market air filter. Did the power steering hose fuel filter if i didnt mention it. It um maybe something else but i cant remember. Oh and changed the battery. And my starter ( next forum ive gone through two starters and each one has made a loud screeching noise on start up.) i have done a diognastics test with the paper clip and stuff and it brought the code 12 but the egr seems new and we cleaned it. Now i do need to replace some vacuum lines but could that be the entire issue?? Or is there something else some one can think of please help and thank u

Russell Hall, Aug 20, 2017
  2. Russell Hall

ravensod Active Member

The culprit might be the idle air control valve sticking in open position.

ravensod, Jun 18, 2018
Ask a Question