EOL-Salvage-Best way to get rid of?

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Bill, Jun 30, 2010.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    First, a little tribute; My 1992 grey Honda Accord lasted 453,000
    miles before it finally died. It took me to work every day for years,
    and on 15 trips to visit family in Missouri, one road trip from San
    Jose to Washington DC, 2 trips to Death Valley, to The Grand Canyon,
    Yosemite, the Giant Redwoods, Mesa Verde, and many other places. I
    bought it used in 1997, with 100,000 miles on it. Maybe one reason it
    lasted so long is because I drove it "gently," because I was trying to
    save gas and money. Isn't that funny, how we get so attached to our

    Then, the head gasket went out, it was still drivable, and 2 months
    later, the timing belt broke. The body has a couple of dents and the
    interior is worn, so I'm thinking it's reached the end of of it's
    usable/reasonable life and is not worth fixing.

    I'd like to ask the list 2 questions:

    1. What's the best way to get rid of an older car? What can I do with
    it to get the most value/money? I can sell it to a salvage yard for
    around $125. I'm considering parting it out, but I live in the
    suburbs, where the neighbors would probably complain if the car looked
    bad for very long. What parts could I part out, fairly easily, not
    take too long, not look bad? Power steering and distributor? What
    else? I don't see how I could sell or keep the tires, because then how
    could I sell it? How would they get it on the flatbed? (I could put on
    the spare and keep one tire)

    I don't think I'm interested in donating it to a non-profit, they'll
    just sell it to a salvage yard, I'm more interested in doing it myself
    and getting more value from it, if possible. What would you suggest as
    the best way to get rid of a non-working car, to get a little money
    from it?

    2. What should I have done with DMV paperwork? I live in California.
    It's been about 9 months now, sitting in my driveway. I should have
    filed non-op, but I wasn't planning to keep it. I didn't renew or do
    non-op. Now they sent me a collections letter for $150. Should I sell
    it soon to a salvage yard and tell DMV I already sold it as junk? I
    can't find any instructions on DMV web site for selling an old car to
    salvage yard.

    Thank you,
    Bill, Jun 30, 2010
  2. Bill

    Clete Guest

    Just call the wreckers and they will take it away for free and take
    care of the paperwork. The vehicle is basically worthless. I just went
    thru this myself.
    Clete, Jun 30, 2010
  3. Bill

    pws Guest

    Agreed, I would feel VERY good about the experiences you have had with
    this Honda, and then dump it.

    If you do decide to part it out, about the only parts potentially worth
    anything are body panels, bumpers, non-wear items like that, and maybe
    anything that was replaced very recently.

    But really, considering the value of this car even if it had 300,000
    less miles and was running, it's time to send it away now that it has
    finally given in.

    Congrats, BTW!

    pws, Jun 30, 2010
  4. Bill

    Tegger Guest

    The problem with that is that you do end up with a really ugly-looking
    shell that you'll /still/ need the wreckers to tow away. And by
    that point, they're not likely to pay you much becuase all there's
    nothing left but scrap metal value in it.

    The time you waste, and the possible zoning/neighbor-complaints may
    be more than they're worth.

    Donating it might just be a better idea:

    If you still don't like that, try advertising it on eBay.
    If the car lived in a very dry area, rust will be minimal, which
    usually makes such a car quite attractive to North-easterners.

    A salvage yard or donation house can help you with the paperwork.
    Try calling one.
    Tegger, Jun 30, 2010
  5. Bill

    jim beam Guest

    why not? you can replace bent valves easily enough, if they are bent -
    not always the case. and you need to take the head off to replace the
    gasket anyway. if you do this work yourself, it'll cost you labor, but
    parts will probably be less than $200.

    or just get a whole new [used jdm] engine for a couple of hundred bucks
    more. quicker and easier. and you'll be paying more than that /each
    month/ for a new car.
    jim beam, Jun 30, 2010
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.