Chipped Crankshaft Pulley

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by Caroline, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Caroline

Caroline Guest

I accidentally chipped 0.3 ounce of steel off the edge of my 91 Civic's
    crankshaft pulley today. The chunk that came off is part of the edge that helps
    retain the power steering belt. I did this trying to get the crankshaft pulley
    bolt off (as I want to go after some seals that will require this soon) but with
    a bit too much jury-rigging, obviously. After putting everything back together,
    I took the car for a short drive. It sounds fine. Still, I am somewhat concerned
    about the crankshaft system's proper balance. Anyone else driving around with a
    chipped pulley? Other thoughts on the risk to the engine I might be taking?

A new pulley will cost me $100. I figure I can get a second-hand one at a few
    salvage yards for less, if need be.

Caroline, Jun 5, 2004

2. I broke a chunk off the pulley of a Toyota Tercel and it was OK. Your
    car is old so the damage probably isn't significant compared to general
    aging problems.

Somebody might weld it and grind it into shape for about $20.

Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 6, 2004

3. I broke a chunk off the pulley of a Toyota Tercel and it was OK. Your
    car is old so the damage probably isn't significant compared to general
    aging problems.

Somebody might weld it and grind it into shape for about $20.

Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 6, 2004
  4. I don't think any weight imbalance will bother you but I'd be more
    concerned that any ragged edge could chew up the belt - keep your eye on
    it. The other thing is that whatever you were doing around the rim of the
    pulley, any force there, could have damaged the rubber damping material
    which is bonded between the pulley rim and hub. It's there to damp out
    vibrations which can damage crankshaft bearings.
    I'm not sure about relative sizes but, rather than getting the exact same
    pulley, it'd be worth looking for a replacement with a 50mm hex socket in
    it... *if* there's one available in the right diameter. Then you'll be
    able to use a pulley holder tool in future.

Rgds, George Macdonald

"Just because they're paranoid doesn't mean you're not psychotic" - Who, me??

George Macdonald, Jun 6, 2004
  5. I don't think any weight imbalance will bother you but I'd be more
    concerned that any ragged edge could chew up the belt - keep your eye on
    it. The other thing is that whatever you were doing around the rim of the
    pulley, any force there, could have damaged the rubber damping material
    which is bonded between the pulley rim and hub. It's there to damp out
    vibrations which can damage crankshaft bearings.
    I'm not sure about relative sizes but, rather than getting the exact same
    pulley, it'd be worth looking for a replacement with a 50mm hex socket in
    it... *if* there's one available in the right diameter. Then you'll be
    able to use a pulley holder tool in future.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald, Jun 6, 2004
  6. Caroline

Eric Guest

Just so you know, a '91 Civic has a solid pulley. There's no rubber damping
    material as on the Accords of the same year.

Eric

Eric, Jun 6, 2004
  7. Caroline

Eric Guest

Just so you know, a '91 Civic has a solid pulley. There's no rubber damping
    material as on the Accords of the same year.

Eric

Eric, Jun 6, 2004
  8. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Thanks, Kevin, George, and Eric. I'll keep a close eye on the power steering
    belt. I'll also consider the interchangeability (esp. diameters) of the current
    pulley with other Honda models' 50 mm (or so?) hex socket version. After a lot
    of reading on this over the last few months, I know what you're talking about.
    I'm seeing tools for my pulley for some $70 or so, while the other pulley holder
    tool can be had for under $30.

For posterity--
    I'm going to try to fabricate a better tool in the next few days, along the
    lines of what Eric has described in the past. I tried the two high grade, fine
    thread bolts (with nuts) in the pulley periphery holes and then jamming various
    bars/pipes between them in the suspension, like that shown at
    http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/honda.html , but the pulley on the
    car pictured there is a little different. I got too much 'play' with the bolt
    setup, and so while proceeding slowly things kept slipping at the pulley. (The
    web sites's two ten-inch long, 1/2 inch extensions, supported by a jack with a
    long breaker bar and then a five-foot pipe extension on the breaker bar, worked
    well, though. I should easily get the necessary torque, once I get the pulley
    secured.)

Caroline, Jun 6, 2004
  9. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Thanks, Kevin, George, and Eric. I'll keep a close eye on the power steering
    belt. I'll also consider the interchangeability (esp. diameters) of the current
    pulley with other Honda models' 50 mm (or so?) hex socket version. After a lot
    of reading on this over the last few months, I know what you're talking about.
    I'm seeing tools for my pulley for some $70 or so, while the other pulley holder
    tool can be had for under $30.

For posterity--
    I'm going to try to fabricate a better tool in the next few days, along the
    lines of what Eric has described in the past. I tried the two high grade, fine
    thread bolts (with nuts) in the pulley periphery holes and then jamming various
    bars/pipes between them in the suspension, like that shown at
    http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54pontiac/honda.html , but the pulley on the
    car pictured there is a little different. I got too much 'play' with the bolt
    setup, and so while proceeding slowly things kept slipping at the pulley. (The
    web sites's two ten-inch long, 1/2 inch extensions, supported by a jack with a
    long breaker bar and then a five-foot pipe extension on the breaker bar, worked
    well, though. I should easily get the necessary torque, once I get the pulley
    secured.)

Caroline, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Caroline

tflfb Guest

Do you have the old piece, if so I would get some JB Weld, rotate the pulley
    to a position where it could be refastened with JB Weld, and let it sit over
    night.

If a little of the cement squishes out to the belt side, it may be possible
    to remove it with sandpaper after it drys.

Tom.

tflfb, Jun 6, 2004
  11. Caroline

tflfb Guest

Do you have the old piece, if so I would get some JB Weld, rotate the pulley
    to a position where it could be refastened with JB Weld, and let it sit over
    night.

If a little of the cement squishes out to the belt side, it may be possible
    to remove it with sandpaper after it drys.

Tom.

tflfb, Jun 6, 2004
  12. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Yes, I do have the old piece. I'll read up on JB Weld's strength characteristics
    and assess the risk if the "weld" does not hold and the little piece goes flying
    off. (It's about 1.5" of pulley arc length" x 9/16" x 1/8".) Thanks.

Caroline, Jun 6, 2004
  13. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Yes, I do have the old piece. I'll read up on JB Weld's strength characteristics
    and assess the risk if the "weld" does not hold and the little piece goes flying
    off. (It's about 1.5" of pulley arc length" x 9/16" x 1/8".) Thanks.

Caroline, Jun 6, 2004
  14. Caroline

lamont Guest

lamont, Jun 6, 2004
  15. Caroline

lamont Guest

lamont, Jun 6, 2004
  16. Sure about that? Just because you can't see any rubber band doesn't mean
    it's not there.
    It's 50mm according to service manuals. I hadn't seen any tools for the
    pulleys without the hex socket in it - that'd be interesting to have as a
    reference here.

Rgds, George Macdonald

George Macdonald, Jun 7, 2004
  17. Sure about that? Just because you can't see any rubber band doesn't mean
    it's not there.
    It's 50mm according to service manuals. I hadn't seen any tools for the
    pulleys without the hex socket in it - that'd be interesting to have as a
    reference here.

Rgds, George Macdonald

18. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Caroline wrote
    snip
    http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Honda-Crankshaft-Pulley-Holder---SIRHO60
    ..HTML

Also, from the popular UK Honda manual site:

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/ConcertoManual/62sk301/5-26.pdf

and how it's used, more or less (lower right corner of page):

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/ConcertoManual/62sk301/5-27.pdf

My 91 Civic crankshaft pulley has quite the lip on it where the power steering
    belt goes. The lip is bowl-shaped, too, meaning bolting a flat bar (part of my
    proposed crankshaft pulley holding tool) to the pulley puts stress on the lip,
    if you can picture this.

I JB Welded the 0.3 oz. chunk of pulley that came off yesterday. My calculations
    say it should hold easily, if JB Weld does not lie about the strength of its
    stuff. OTOH, I'm quite confident of the high probability it will chip off again
    (or another piece will chip off) when I bolt the tool I'm making (Eric's design,
    more or less) to it and apply, yup, over 200 ft-lbs so far to the pulley bolt by
    my rough calculations. I bear in mind I might need lots more.

I've been resisting the air impact wrench because clearly I'm going to need a
    serious one, so it will be a rental to save bucks. Also, I confess after bending
    one grade 8 bolt yesterday in this effort, and thinking about the force this is
    going to take, I am starting to think Curly's (tongue-in-cheek?) caution about
    handling such a heavy duty air impact wrench should be taken seriously. I don't
    know. A guy can't be that much stronger than me. But we've been over this, ad
    nauseam...

I will be investigating the details of interchangeability of crankshaft pulleys
    with a couple of salvage yards I've found, starting tomorrow. I suspect the
    pulley I have now is not going to survive my latest foray into car repairs. :)
    (No, I don't have money to throw away, but I do have pretty surely a leaking
    crank seal, albeit a very slow leak. More worried about the timing belt getting
    oily than anything else.) My pulley's overall diameter is about 5.5 inches; the
    power steering belt wheel diameter is about 3.5 inches, for starters. Anyone
    having a crankshaft pulley laying around with the 50 mm hex design, etc., do
    post the dimensions so I can get some idea if this is at all feasible. (Or I
    dunno, George, maybe you know off the top of your head?)

Caroline, Jun 7, 2004
  19. Caroline

Caroline Guest

Caroline wrote
    snip
    http://www.etoolcart.com/browseproducts/Honda-Crankshaft-Pulley-Holder---SIRHO60
    ..HTML

Also, from the popular UK Honda manual site:

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/ConcertoManual/62sk301/5-26.pdf

and how it's used, more or less (lower right corner of page):

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/ConcertoManual/62sk301/5-27.pdf

My 91 Civic crankshaft pulley has quite the lip on it where the power steering
    belt goes. The lip is bowl-shaped, too, meaning bolting a flat bar (part of my
    proposed crankshaft pulley holding tool) to the pulley puts stress on the lip,
    if you can picture this.

I JB Welded the 0.3 oz. chunk of pulley that came off yesterday. My calculations
    say it should hold easily, if JB Weld does not lie about the strength of its
    stuff. OTOH, I'm quite confident of the high probability it will chip off again
    (or another piece will chip off) when I bolt the tool I'm making (Eric's design,
    more or less) to it and apply, yup, over 200 ft-lbs so far to the pulley bolt by
    my rough calculations. I bear in mind I might need lots more.

I've been resisting the air impact wrench because clearly I'm going to need a
    serious one, so it will be a rental to save bucks. Also, I confess after bending
    one grade 8 bolt yesterday in this effort, and thinking about the force this is
    going to take, I am starting to think Curly's (tongue-in-cheek?) caution about
    handling such a heavy duty air impact wrench should be taken seriously. I don't
    know. A guy can't be that much stronger than me. But we've been over this, ad
    nauseam...

I will be investigating the details of interchangeability of crankshaft pulleys
    with a couple of salvage yards I've found, starting tomorrow. I suspect the
    pulley I have now is not going to survive my latest foray into car repairs. :)
    (No, I don't have money to throw away, but I do have pretty surely a leaking
    crank seal, albeit a very slow leak. More worried about the timing belt getting
    oily than anything else.) My pulley's overall diameter is about 5.5 inches; the
    power steering belt wheel diameter is about 3.5 inches, for starters. Anyone
    having a crankshaft pulley laying around with the 50 mm hex design, etc., do
    post the dimensions so I can get some idea if this is at all feasible. (Or I
    dunno, George, maybe you know off the top of your head?)

Caroline, Jun 7, 2004
  20. Now that *is* interesting - never seen such a tool in a U.S. Honda manual
    but of course, I've umm, missed a few... anybody else seen this bugger
    mentioned?
    In recent Honda manuals, where they show the holding tool, there is
    specific advice to *not* use an impact wrench. It's something which has
    always bothered me - the thought of the bearings getting pounded and the
    valve gear flapping around.
    Sorry I don't know but what I do know is that there were some model years
    which had the hex socket in the pulley and the info on when it appeared is
    vague/imprecise and sometimes wrong. If you look at the Schley tool models
    and years shown here:
    http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=629 it says
    that the 1.8L Integra engine didn't have the hex fitting till '94 and yet,
    to my great relief, my '92 had it. If someone knows the relative sizes of
    '91 vs. '92 Civic pulleys, that might give a starting point for a junkyard
    search.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Ask a Question