2003 Honda Pilot very rough idling

Discussion in 'General Motoring' started by izmatt234, Jun 22, 2022.

1. izmatt234

izmatt234 New Member

About two months ago my 2003 Honda Pilot with 185K miles on it surged and stopped in the middle of the road. Figured my timing belt skipped but it is perfectly lined up. Ran codes and had P1129 (MAP sensor pressure higher than expected) and P0401 (EGR system insufficient flow detected) but no engine light. I had replaced my EGR and cleaned all ports and intake manifold a couple months prior to this happening but the code only went away for a short while. After a couple tries the car did eventually start with low RPM's but the RMP's would jump like crazy and smell very bad and then die. I have replaced idle control valve, cleaned my throttle body and replaced throttle body position sensor, replaced my MAP sensor, and did a smoke test to see if there was a vacuum leak (didn't see anything). I then noticed that I had a coolant leak in my thermostat housing so I replaced the gasket (and thermostat just because) and that was no longer and issue. I took off my intake manifold and there seemed to be small puddles of oil and water inside, so I also replaced my PVC valve. After all of that the car didn't run any better, after running out of ideas I took it to a mechanic. They told me it had been running rich for awhile now pouring fuel into the engine (which was hard on the catalytic converter possibly causing the smell) and that they figured the fuel injectors were possibly stuck open. Took the car home and replaced all 6 injectors, now the car still starts but has below 1 RPM's and the RPM's don't seem to raise when stepping on the gas or manually raising RPM's on the throttle body. Now I have a check engine light that flashes when the car is running after a little bit, all my previous codes are gone and then I got 7 new ones! P0131 (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 - low voltage), P0113 (intake air temperature sensor - high impact), P1519 (Idle air control valve - circuit malfunction), P0303 (Cylinder 3 misfire), P0305 (Cylinder 5 misfire), P0300 (Random/multiple cylinder misfires), and P1399 (A:Misfire-temporary malfunction B: Random misfire). There is a possibility I need to check my spark plugs and such but last time I tried to take one out it was stuck in there and there was no getting it out in one piece.
    I ended up replacing the fuel pump and for now all codes have gone away. although, it still runs the exact same, I also keep having backfires in my manifold as well, couple fire balls here and there! I made sure I was getting power to my fuel injectors, checked for damaged wires and hoses, made sure all sensor were hooked up properly yet every time I step on the gas pedal nothing happens. The really strange thing is when I spray carb/choke clearer into the manifold the RPM's raiser right up (without stepping on the gas) and it seems to run decent but only when carb/choke cleaner is being sprayed into it.

izmatt234, Jun 22, 2022
  2. izmatt234

David John New Member

good job it seems you have great knowledge about cars

David John, Oct 28, 2022
Ask a Question