Honda Car Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

2002 Honda Civic DRL module and relay location

 
Doobielicious
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2008
Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eternal Searcher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2008
Doobielicious wrote:

> Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?


I don't know where for sure, but one possible location is under the dash on
the driver's side. Are you trying to replace it, and if so, why?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tegger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2008
"Doobielicious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FRNPk.95$A73.84
@edtnps82:

> Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?
>
>
>



You have three items that concern the DRLs. They are all under the dash to
the left of the steering column:
1) Low-beam cut relay
2) DRL Relay
3) DRL Control Unit (bigger than the others)

Are your DRLs no longer working? That's usually the low-beam cut relay.
Look for a relay with the wires RED/BLK, RED/YEL, RED/WHT, RED/BLU. It's
joined together with the DRL relay, which is the same size but has
different wire colors.

There are input tests you can do to the relays to confirm functionality.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Doobielicious
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2008

"Eternal Searcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:geobti$cm1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Doobielicious wrote:
>
> > Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?

>
> I don't know where for sure, but one possible location is under the dash

on
> the driver's side. Are you trying to replace it, and if so, why?


my car seems to have an electrical problem. I get a buzzing noise when I
start the car. The daylight driving light does not work, but when I turn on
the headlights the buzzing noise goes away. I changed the bulb and the
noise has not gone way. Also when the headlights are off and the buzzing
sound is buzzing the DRL light is on in my dash. I am assuming it is the
DRL module or relay. I'm not sure if I shoudl tackle this myself or take it
to a shop to get fixed. I am hearing that it is an easy fix, but I don't
even know where these are located.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Doobielicious
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2008
Do i need to take the dash off to get to these or are they somewhat easily
accessible?


"Tegger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9B4CB7F7E906Ategger@208.90.168.18...
> "Doobielicious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:FRNPk.95$A73.84
> @edtnps82:
>
> > Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?
> >
> >
> >

>
>
> You have three items that concern the DRLs. They are all under the dash to
> the left of the steering column:
> 1) Low-beam cut relay
> 2) DRL Relay
> 3) DRL Control Unit (bigger than the others)
>
> Are your DRLs no longer working? That's usually the low-beam cut relay.
> Look for a relay with the wires RED/BLK, RED/YEL, RED/WHT, RED/BLU. It's
> joined together with the DRL relay, which is the same size but has
> different wire colors.
>
> There are input tests you can do to the relays to confirm functionality.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tegger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2008
"Doobielicious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:xR5Qk.292$A73.166@edtnps82:

>
> "Eternal Searcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:geobti$cm1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Doobielicious wrote:
>>
>> > Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?

>>
>> I don't know where for sure, but one possible location is under the
>> dash

> on
>> the driver's side. Are you trying to replace it, and if so, why?

>
> my car seems to have an electrical problem. I get a buzzing noise
> when I start the car. The daylight driving light does not work, but
> when I turn on the headlights the buzzing noise goes away. I changed
> the bulb and the noise has not gone way. Also when the headlights are
> off and the buzzing sound is buzzing the DRL light is on in my dash.
> I am assuming it is the DRL module or relay. I'm not sure if I shoudl
> tackle this myself or take it to a shop to get fixed. I am hearing
> that it is an easy fix, but I don't even know where these are located.
>
>
>
>



You have three items that concern the DRLs. They are all under the dash to
the left of the steering column:
1) Low-beam cut relay
2) DRL Relay
3) DRL Control Unit (bigger than the others)

Are your DRLs no longer working? That's usually the low-beam cut relay.
Look for a relay with the wires RED/BLK, RED/YEL, RED/WHT, RED/BLU. It's
joined together with the DRL relay, which is the same size but has
different wire colors.

There are input tests you can do to the relays to confirm functionality.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tegger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2008
"Doobielicious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:uT5Qk.293$A73.81@edtnps82:

> "Tegger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9B4CB7F7E906Ategger@208.90.168.18...
>> "Doobielicious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:FRNPk.95$A73.84 @edtnps82:
>>
>> > Where is the DRL module and relay located in a 2002 honda civic DX?
>> >
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
>> You have three items that concern the DRLs. They are all under the
>> dash to the left of the steering column:
>> 1) Low-beam cut relay
>> 2) DRL Relay
>> 3) DRL Control Unit (bigger than the others)
>>
>> Are your DRLs no longer working? That's usually the low-beam cut
>> relay. Look for a relay with the wires RED/BLK, RED/YEL, RED/WHT,
>> RED/BLU. It's joined together with the DRL relay, which is the same
>> size but has different wire colors.
>>
>> There are input tests you can do to the relays to confirm
>> functionality.
>>

>
>
> Do i need to take the dash off to get to these or are they somewhat
> easily accessible?




Accessible from under the dash. Usually you need to remove the plastic knee
bolster under the steering column ( a few bolts and clips). Get under there
with a flashlight and look for yourself.



--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Eternal Searcher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2008
Doobielicious wrote:

> my car seems to have an electrical problem. I get a buzzing noise when I
> start the car. The daylight driving light does not work, but when I turn on
> the headlights the buzzing noise goes away. I changed the bulb and the
> noise has not gone way. Also when the headlights are off and the buzzing
> sound is buzzing the DRL light is on in my dash. I am assuming it is the
> DRL module or relay. I'm not sure if I shoudl tackle this myself or take it
> to a shop to get fixed. I am hearing that it is an easy fix, but I don't
> even know where these are located.


Believe it or not, I think the culprit here is a failing alternator. I had
very similar symptoms with my 2004 Civic LX recently. But instead of a
buzz, it was a fast tick; and it went away with the headlights turned on.

If it is the alternator, I strongly suggest to get the battery checked at
the same time especially if it is the original.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mario_methot@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2008
On 4 nov, 21:47, Eternal Searcher <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Doobielicious wrote:
> > my car seems to have an electrical problem. *I get a buzzing noise when I
> > start the car. *The daylight driving light does not work, but when I turn on
> > the headlights the buzzing noise goes away. *I changed the bulb and the
> > noise has not gone way. *Also when the headlights are off and the buzzing
> > sound is buzzing the DRL light is on in my dash. *I am assuming it isthe
> > DRL module or relay. I'm not sure if I shoudl tackle this myself or take it
> > to a shop to get fixed. *I am hearing that it is an easy fix, but I don't
> > even know where these are located.

>
> Believe it or not, I think the culprit here is a failing alternator. *Ihad
> very similar symptoms with my 2004 Civic LX recently. *But instead of a
> buzz, it was a fast tick; and it went away with the headlights turned on.
>
> If it is the alternator, I strongly suggest to get the battery checked at
> the same time especially if it is the original.


Hi guys. I recently acquired a used '01 Civic, and I think that car
suffers from a series of very similar symptoms...
- DRL lit on dashboard
- DRL sign turns off when headlights are switched on (whether high or
low beams)
- Blown DRL 10A fuse
- Upon DRL fuse replacement, noise coming from the glove compartment
area
- Changed gray DRL relay (RC-5102); no change, same buzzing noise
- Took off the DRL module from under the bottom left of the dash. Took
it apart to inspect all solderings. No clear evidence of a cold one,
but nonetheless re-soldered a few that didn't look as good as the
others. Put everything back into place: same exact scenario.
- Decided to inspect the right headlight bulb: to my surprise, the
high beam wire was cut and the bulb itself was cracked in its forward
portion. Went back to Canadian Tire (for the 3rd time today!) and
bought a new bulb. Replaced it, and I still have the exact same
problem!!

I did notice though that the high beam is definitely linked to this
problem, since even when the headlights are off, simply having the
high beams on (by pressing the steering-mounted lever) turns off both
the buzzing sound and DRL sign. Now that I've exhausted all of what I
could try today, I'm turning to you guys; maybe someone could shed
some light into this (no pun intended!!) Thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tegger
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2008
http://www.thehondaforums.com/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):


> I did notice though that the high beam is definitely linked to this
> problem, since even when the headlights are off, simply having the
> high beams on (by pressing the steering-mounted lever) turns off both
> the buzzing sound and DRL sign. Now that I've exhausted all of what I
> could try today, I'm turning to you guys; maybe someone could shed
> some light into this (no pun intended!!) Thanks in advance.




Low cut relay.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need to know the exact location of the Main Relay on a 94 civic ex? Jeff Civic 1 07-30-2007 10:06 PM
DRL relay problems on Accords and others rshpeley Accord 1 05-26-2006 12:26 AM
87 accord fuse relay location?? lamont Accord 2 09-05-2004 12:22 PM
Please help Passport Ignition Module Location? Vaughn79 Passport 2 10-09-2003 01:29 PM
please help, horn relay location Goldbee General Motoring 2 09-05-2003 03:58 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.